Climate Change: A brief overview
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Changes in the state of climate can be identified by the changes in the mean and/or variability of its properties, persists for an extended period
- Humans are the “dominant cause” – due to our GHG emissions- mainly CO2
- Top ten hottest years on record from 1998, 2010 was the hottest
- Impacts from recent climate related extremes, such as heat waves, droughts, floods, cyclones and wildfires, reveal significant vulnerability and exposure of some ecosystems and many human systems…’
- “Severe, pervasive and irreversible“ impacts if no action is taken. Over 100 million people will die by 2030 and 90% of this will come from developing countries.
- Adaptation and mitigation choices in the near term will affect the risks of climate change throughout the 21st century